How to Find the Best Lawyer for Your Case
Sooner or later, each and every last one of us will face the responsibility of making a legal decision. Fortunately, we don’t have to do it alone. A properly-trained lawyer can be a huge asset to you if you ever need to navigate the legal system for any reason. But how does one choose the best lawyer for a case—or more specifically, for your case? Here are some tips to finding the best lawyer for you.
1. Look them up. Search engines can be very overwhelming, but an easy start is looking for “lawyers in (city where you live)” or wherever you’re willing to travel to get service. Once you figure out where lawyers are in your area, there are some key factors to research:
- Their credentials. Where were they educated? Is that school accredited? When were they educated? Are they licensed? Is their license current? Have they passed the bar? Do they have any mugshots themselves? Luckily, all of this is public information and should be easy for you to find.
- Their reputation. Facebook and Twitter are great ways to do this one. Search anyone’s name, and someone somewhere will have spoken about them before. A lawyer is a worthy investment but can be a pricey one. You need to feel as empowered as possible before you trust your life and legal decisions with someone who may be a complete stranger to you before you meet them.
2. Choose a lawyer you can trust. Though you hire a lawyer to help you with your case, the relationship should operate on a more significant basis than merely transactional. Certainly, you can pay anyone any amount of money to do anything for you, but trust increases not only your confidence in them, but also yourself. The key to building this trust is communication. If you can’t speak to your lawyer, how are you going to feel as if they have your best interests at heart—and how will you be able to trust them?
3. Choose a lawyer with expertise in what you need them for. This one might be obvious, but still. If you need a lawyer as you prepare to file for divorce, a corporate lawyer might not be able to help you.
All of these tips will be helpful to you in your journey for a trustworthy lawyer whose experience and education you can trust. I myself am glad to profess my passion in family law, especially adoption cases, and am humbled to report a strong rate of success with my clients. Having also been nominated the best family law attorney and best defense attorney in the greater Jackson area, I would be glad to help you with any of your legal needs.